Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Performance and Co-Dependancy

Im not there yet. By Far.

But Ive realized now why I have it so wrong.

From my earliest memory of childhood I have been taught that to be in a real authentic relationship with me meant that you could depend on me 100% of the time. And if I was not dependable I was a failure.

I am so dysfunctional - I only know how to have genuine relationships where I am the 'dependable' one. And if I cannot be dependable for you then I will avoid a 'real relationship'. And even in that 'dependable' relationship, if for even a second, the slightest smidgen of my failure becomes known to you - I withdraw.

This is SO messed up. It is SO not Christ-like.

This dependency has become a power that I abuse.
If you are dependent on me, I force you to do my bidding by withdrawing 'my support'. The threat of abandonment controls you. It has controlled me my whole childhood and still does to this day.

And here is the new bit for me - it is inhibiting me from the giving AND receiving of true love. After 32 years of life on this earth, I still don't know Gods true unconditional love for me. I cannot separate it in my mind from my own performance for him.

And even after 10 years of marriage, I still seek to 'earn' my wifes love. What an unbelievable insult to the woman who continues to stand by me in sickness and health.

This has to stop now. I don't want to miss another minute of grace and love.

So I need to publicly say this - this is me coming out of the closet!

I am a flawed and broken man. The very root of my soul is wounded and fractured. I cant pretend any longer. I am a failure, I am weak, I am disabled.

I need Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, Rene's out of the closet. :)
    Good post babe. You are an awesome man and I love watching what God is going in your heart recently. I'm so blessed to be sharing life with you.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind and thoughtful - no trolling or flaming - but feel free to challenge!